Selling your House by Owner For Sellers
If you decide that you don’t want to work with a realtor when selling your home, keep in mind, selling your house “By Owner” can be tough… BUT it is doable! Keep reading for some tips, ideas, and things to consider!
Things to consider when selling your home “By Owner”
As the seller, you will be responsible for all of the following:
- Taking photos or getting professional photos taken of the property.
- Doing all the marketing for the property.
- Taking and replying to calls, texts, emails, etc.
- You will have strangers going in and out of your house! Make sure someone is always there with them and don’t leave anything valuable out!
- Make sure you have your property listed for the right price! If you don’t want your property to sit on the market for months, go a little lower than the as-is value. If you aren’t in a rush, list the price higher than market value. (Before paying for an appraisal, I would suggest looking at our blog about determining value! Click here to read the blog.)
Ways to get YOUR property in front of more people!
- I’ll start with the obvious, put a For Sale By Owner sign in your front yard! This way when people drive by they will see that you are trying to sell your property and may give you a call! Make sure the writing is large and legible.
- Make a craigslist post! (If you decide to do so, don’t put your address! There are a ton of scammers and you don’t want them to know your address.) When you make this post on Craigslist, put your email address and/or your phone number and if someone is interested they will reach out to you.
- List your property on Zillow.com! You don’t have to be a Realtor to list your house on Zillow! ALSO, it’s free!
- Yes, I know it’s 2020 and people may not receive the physical newspaper everyday, but good ol’ classifieds still do the trick! You’ll pay minimal cost and get some exposure you may not have otherwise.
- Hold an Open-House! If you want to slow the traffic coming in and out of your house all the time, hold an open house and get everyone there on ONE day! Have signs around the neighborhood guiding people to your house and adding balloons in front of your house will ensure people know they are in the right place.
- Social Media! Post to your personal page, join groups in your area and post your property there! Encourage your friends and family to help you out and share the post to put it in front of more people!
Did you know that so far in 2020, 52% of home buyers found their home online? Selling your house “By Owner” will save you money but it isn’t easy and it will consume your time! Millions of people do it, you can too! If you decide you do not want to sell your house on your own, reach out to us! We have a great realtor on our team who would love to help you!
-Legacy Frontline Team