It doesn’t hurt to set aside a budget in your savings account allocated toward things that may come up unexpectedly. These tips will hopefully alleviate some of those items from coming up but there will always be something you won’t expect.
- Have homeowners insurance! If you need help finding a great insurance agent or coverage, reach out to us! We have contacts nationwide and would be happy to help.
- If you haven’t purchased yet, see if your realtor can work with the sellers to buy a home warranty.
- Have your HVAC system serviced regularly, most recommend yearly service with monthly maintenance by you. This can be making sure to change out your furnace filters monthly, etc.
- Check your gutters and take a walk around your property regularly. Keep an eye out for areas of the house or yard that seem to be more worn than others then look for the cause. Example, an area that doesn’t have proper drainage will tend to flood or pool water.
- Deep clean! Yes, vacuum vents, behind the fridge, all those places that we don’t clean on the regular can cause issues if left unattended for too long. There is a reason spring cleaning became a thing.
- If you have unused sinks, toilets etc. be sure to run water in them every once in a while.
- Keep your yard maintained, trim trees away from your roof and windows. Pick up piles of brush or junk, it will keep those unwanted critters away.
- Unwanted pest, yuck! Some areas have scorpions and centipedes and some have termites and ants. Find out what critters are a problem in your area and either DIY it or call in a professional to spray for them. If you are trying to avoid chemicals, there are some more natural options to repel them as well.
Make sure to keep a checklist of everything that needs to be done! Have a well documented home inspection when you buy, they can inform you of things to watch out for and what type of maintenance should be scheduled weekly, monthly, annually. Thank you for reading, I hope this helps you stay on top of things!
–Legacy Frontline Team